There are plenty of problems that can pop up during the holiday season . The winter season is harsh enough on your home with the risk of frozen plumbing, busted furnaces, and a leaky roof. While that may be an impressive list of home maintenance tasks to tackle, there’s one more concern to add to that list, and that’s a power outage. Heavy storms can weigh down your power lines can cause a power outage for an indefinite amount of time. In frigid temperatures, a power outage can be very problematic. You can be prepared, however, for even the worst of the season with a standby generator.
How a Standby Generator Can Help You
A standby generator is permanently installed outside your home, often powered by either propane or natural gas, and works within seconds of sensing a power outage. While a standby generator is an expensive appliance to add to your home, here are a few benefits why all homeowners should have one.
- Instant power generation. One of the best perks of a standby generator is that it instantly generates power when there’s a power outage. Instant power generation not only ensures that your important appliances run without interruption, but that it greatly reduces the risk of harmful power surges that can either damage your sensitive electronics or even start a fire.
- It keeps the important appliances running. Some appliances, such as your refrigerator, need to be running constantly. While the food inside your fridge can stay cool, the clock starts ticking as soon as the power goes off. A standby generator spares you the grief of tossing out an entire fridge full of food. A standby generator is also a must have for households that use medical equipment or work from home.
- Your plumbing is protected. When the temperature outside reaches below zero, it’s importantly to ensure your home is properly heated and insulated. Proper heating is not just for your comfort, but the plumbing. When the power goes out, the furnace can’t do its job, and that cold can quickly spread inside your home, putting your pipes at risk.
- No risk of a flooded basement. On top of protecting your plumbing, a standby generator also ensures that other important appliances do their job. Your sump pump needs electricity to run, and it’s designed to remove any excess water outside your basement. Having a backup source of power like a standby generator, ensures you won’t have a pond in your basement.
- You save money. No power can make your home miserable to live in, especially during the winter season. While it may be expensive to install a standby generator for your home, having one does save you the cost of staying at a hotel each time the power goes out.
- No tripping over extension cords. Unlike a portable generator which can only generate enough power for a handful of appliances, a standby generator powers everything in your home. Instead of carefully picking what to power and tripping over extension cords, a standby generator is wired directly into your home’s electrical system and generates power immediately after a power outage.
- It protects your electronics. Not only does a standby generator protect your home from power surges whenever a power outage happens, it also protects your electronics from power surges that can happen when the power comes back on. While power surges are a common occurrence and most can be relatively harmless, power surges caused by major power outages are more likely to damage your electronics. A standby generator protects your electronics by waiting until the voltage is stabilized before the generator transfers power generation back to the utility line.
Don’t Let an Emergency Ruin Your Holidays
No matter how well prepared you are, emergencies can happen at any time, which is why it’s important to have a backup. A standby generator ensures you’ll stay warm and cozy this holiday season, while protecting your plumbing and important appliances. Having a backup source of power also spares you the trouble and cost of staying at a hotel, and even worse, throwing out tons of food. Preparing your home for the worst of power outages will require help from a licensed electrician, who can safely and properly install your newest of appliances.
Don’t wait until the lights go out. Call Reliable to get started today.
Request A Quote
We are your trusted experts for all things electrical. Reliable is a family-operated company celebrating 20 years of providing superior service and expertise. At Reliable, we're known for going above and beyond to ensure each project is completed right - the first time.