It’s no secret that hurricanes are an unfortunate reality of life in South Florida. These severe storms can be life-threatening and can cause serious property damage, but the good news is that proper preparation can go a long way towards preventing catastrophe. You and your family should know the difference between the various hurricane threat levels, and plan in advance to make sure that your hard-earned property is not wiped-away by a severe storm in Southern Florida.
Following are some tips from Reliable Power Systems to help you and your family prepare for the next Florida hurricane:
Create a Family Disaster Plan
- Have contingency plans for every situation, including where to go when everyone is at home, school, work, or recreational activities.
- Designate a meeting spot if your family becomes separated.
- Decide on a friend or relative outside the area as your emergency contact in case of separation.
Know the Difference Between a Hurricane Watch and a Warning
- WATCH – Conditions for severe weather are possible in the specified area within 36 hours.
- WARNING – Severe weather conditions have been reported by spotters or radar and are expected in the area within 24 hours.
Inspect Home and Yard for Potential Hazards
- Remove any outdoor items that may become airborne during a storm, including:
- Keep trees, branches and shrubs pruned and trimmed regularly to minimize the chances of damage to your home.
- Keep rain gutters, outside stairwells, window wells, drain lines and down spouts clear to prevent flooding in high rains.
- lawn furniture,
- trash cans
- hanging plants
Protect Your Home’s Openings
- Secure windows, entry doors, sliding glass doors, garage doors and gable end vents.
Secure Backup Power
- Invest in a backup generator.
- Flashlights cannot power refrigerators and candles are fire hazards.
- The American Red Cross suggests that permanently installed stationary home generators are better suited for providing backup power to the home than portable generators.
- Make this the hurricane season where you and your family beat the storm!
- Reliable Power Systems can help you have the one house on the block that still has lights, computers, refrigeration, and all of the other wonderful conveniences our electrical systems have to offer.
We are a professional, reliable, hardworking generator distribution and installation company that takes pride in completing all jobs accurately and in a timely manner. Give us an opportunity to show you how we work! We never waste your time or money, and we always operate with complete respect for your home.
Call now to get a free in-home, no-obligation estimate on a generator installation. Our experts will find the ideal system for you!
Request A Quote
We are your trusted experts for all things electrical. Reliable is a family-operated company celebrating 20 years of providing superior service and expertise. At Reliable, we're known for going above and beyond to ensure each project is completed right - the first time.