you’re a savvy homeowner who’s prepared for every eventuality, then you need to know the basics about generator maintenance in Boynton Beach.
Why You Need Generator Maintenance in Boynton Beach
We totally get that you don’t like unpleasant surprises. Who does? That’s why you never miss your yearly physical. It’s why you get your car tuned-up and winterized in October. And it’s why you’ve had a top quality standby generator installed. However, if you really want to be sure you won’t be taken by surprise during a power outage, you need to keep up with some basic maintenance. Keep the following tips in mind.
- Perform a visual inspection. Unless your generator is located in a specially designated covered area, it’s exposed to the elements. And that can cause damage. Walk around the generator and inspect it for scratches, dings, and other signs of damage. If you see anything that indicates serious damage, determine whether you can fix yourself or need a professional.
- Clean dirt and debris away. Fallen lives, sand, dirt and all sorts of outdoors debris can build up around the generator and compromise its functioning. Clean dirt away with a brush and dispose of debris properly.
- Check the oil levels. The oil levels need to be adequate for the generator to function properly. Make sure the appliance has been switched off for at least 10 minutes; then check the levels and if necessary, add more oil.
- Check for leaks. Leaks can be a significant hazard, so always check to see the oil, fuel and coolant pipes are intact.
- Perform a startup test. Especially when you haven’t used your generator for a while, it’s important to make sure it still functions properly. Use the manufacturer’s manual to perform a startup test and diagnostics to see if everything’s still in good working order.
Call Reliable Power Systems for Generator Maintenance in Boynton Beach
It’s also advisable to have your generator tuned up by a professional contractor at least twice a year. Call Reliable Power Systems to find out how we can help you stay safe and comfortable!