Generator safety is highly important if you want a steady flow of electrical power in your home that also won’t put your well-being at risk. Every home should be equipped with a generator; there is no denying that. However, all too often do homeowners mishandle their generator and it winds up leaving them much worse for wear. Not only will mistreatment may you lose power, it will also be putting the safety of everyone in your household at risk. Generators have the potential to start fires, cause electrocution, and even spread carbon monoxide throughout the air. You may also notice frequent system breakdowns that will also cause you to spend more money on generator repair. With the constant threat of fires and significant money loss looming on the horizon, it will prove difficult relaxing in your home at all, especially with a generator constantly putting your family’s safety at risk. This is not how you should be living in your home, so it’s better to brush up on your knowledge of generator safety. Once you have a better handle on your electrical system, you will be able to stop any safety hazards from getting worse, either on your own time or from a service call to a licensed electrician.
Why Should You Call Reliable Power Systems?
Fortunately, the team at Reliable Power Systems will know exactly what it takes to ensure your generator works safely and effectively. We can give it a close inspection to ensure any small problems are caught and repaired before they blossom into something much worse. We can ensure durable repairs that will ensure you won’t run into any more generator problems for a long time to come. Our generator service will also ensure your system works better than ever before. You will be able to save so much more on energy bills and extend the lifespan of your generator also it continues to work efficiently for years. Even if you feel confident in your generator’s abilities to provide a steady flow of power, it is still highly beneficial to call us for service once a year. One quick check from one of our licensed, fully-trained professionals is enough to secure your safety for the next 12 months.
How Can You Operate Your Generator Safely?
There are plenty of ways you can maintain generator safety, but we would have to say these are the most effective:
- Install Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors: When generators malfunction they may begin leaking smoke or carbon monoxide, which can out your safety at risk if you have no detection. If you haven’t done so already, please install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Detection can alert of even the slightest traces of a problem, even during the middle of the night when everyone is asleep. This is especially important for carbon monoxide, as it cannot be detected by scent.
- Keep a Safe Distance: Your generator needs to be kept as much as 25 feet from your house, preferably in the backyard. It should never be used in the house under any circumstance. It also needs to be kept 10 feet away from any open windows. You also need to establish a safe distance for your children to stay away so they avoid electrocution or exposure to any harmful gases.
- Keep Outlets Covered: While your generator will allow you to have plenty of power flowing through your home, uncovered outlets in your home are incredibly unsafe, especially if you have naturally curious young children or pets. This can lead to varying degrees of electric shock if not treated immediately. There are many plastic covers available today that can keep outlets covered for a longer period of time.
- Replace Old Generators: If you don’t feel like your current generator won’t provide you with enough power this season, it’s time to call for generator replacement. At Reliable Power Systems, we have a wide selection of new generators for you to choose from including top name brands like Generac, GE, Briggs and Station, and Kohler. Replacing now will save you from plenty of trouble this season and help you reduce your carbon footprint.
- Call Us for Generator Maintenance: You should make a point to call Reliable Power Systems once a year for generator maintenance. A maintenance check can prevent an unexpected generator breakdown from occurring at any point of the year. Our maintenance service may include replacing spark plugs, checking fuel, and changing lubricant oil. Just one quick check-up on your generator will extend its lifespan by years.
Take The Importance Of Generator Safety Seriously – Call Today To Schedule A Generator Maintenance Service
Contact Reliable Power Systems today if you want to learn more on how you can improve generator safety!