While there is plenty of home maintenance to concern with during the winter season, such as your heating system and plumbing, potential power outages are another problem. Heavy winds can weigh down power lines or knock down trees, causing massive power outages. No homeowner wants to deal with no power in the dead of winter, especially when important appliances such as your furnace, water heater, and sump pump rely on electricity to function. If you need generator installation in Southeast Florida, Here’s why you should call Reliable Power Systems:
How a Backup Generator Can Help Keep Your Holidays Warm and Festive
- It protects your home from power surges. Power surges can be common, but they’re very destructive for your electronics and can be caused by power outages. A power surge is a spike in your home’s electrical current which can happen when the power is cut off and then abruptly back on. A backup generator instantly kicks on when the power goes off, helping to prevent harmful power surges. A power surge can not only damage sensitive electronics but start an electrical fire.
- It provides instant power. When properly installed, your backup generator will be connected to your home’s gas lines and wired to the subpanel. Unlike a portable generator where you manually have to start up the engine, a backup generator will instantly turn on and generate power when there’s a power outage.
- Your food won’t spoil. Important appliances like your refrigerator need constant power to prevent your food from spoiling. When the power goes out, the clock starts ticking, despite keeping your fridge closed. A backup generator can provide power to your important appliances, ensuring you don’t have to throw out an entire fridge of food.
- They’re safe. Unlike portable generators, you don’t have to worry about potential safety hazards with a backup generator such as a carbon monoxide leak or an electrocution risk.
- No frozen pipes or flooded basements. The winter season is generally the worst time of year for your plumbing. If your home isn’t properly insulated and heated, your pipes are at risk of bursting. Without power, your heating system can run and keep your home and pipes warm. No power also means your sump pump can work to prevent a flooded basement. A backup generator ensures your house stays warm and dry this holiday season.
- It powers your security system. Safety is an important priority, but when the power goes out, your home’s security system can’t do its job. Installing a backup generator ensures you and your household stay safe even the power goes out.
How to Maintain Your Backup Generator
A backup generator is a handy appliance to have, but it requires routine maintenance in order to keep you warm and prepared for every power outage. A typical backup generator can last 1-3 years, but they can break down sooner from a lack of use. Routine maintenance is the best way to ensure your backup generator lasts long and works effectively. To keep your backup generator up and running, make sure to do the following.
- Clean the generator. Your backup generator needs proper ventilation in order to generate power. Over time dust and debris can clog up vents and filters which can hurt the generator’s efficiency. Make sure to clear enough space around the generator so it can vent, and frequently clean it of dust and debris.
- Replace the oil. Just like your car, a backup generator needs its oil changed. Check the oil level when the generator isn’t running, and change the oil and oil filter when necessary. A good rule of thumb is to change the oil after every 50-60 hours of use.
- Check the coolant. On top of replacing oil when necessary, your backup generator needs enough coolant to run properly. Make sure to frequently check the generator’s coolant and refill when necessary.
- Watch for any electrical problems or corrosion. Keep an eye out for any visible damages such as loose clamps, wire connections, or signs of electrical corrosion.
- Change the air filter. Just like your furnace, a backup generator has an air filter that needs to be changed routinely. Changing the air filter once a year helps to ensure your backup generator works efficiently.
Why Choose Reliable For Generator Installation?
When you call for your free quote, we will come out to evaluate your home and the needs you have for power in the event of a weather or electric emergency. Once we have customized a plan to your home and you approve it, we will pull all of the necessary permits. We will come out and install the system with as little interruption to your life as possible. Once the generator is installed it will be tested by the installer and then again by your salesperson. We will also make sure you are comfortable with your system before we leave.