It’s time for a little history lesson. Back in the 1960s, copper experienced a spike in price. For newly constructed homes, this proved inconvenient and aluminum became an acceptable, cost-efficient alternative, especially for electrical wiring. Due to its comparatively lower cost, aluminum saw a surge in popularity over the next decade as it became the go-to choice for reliable electrical wiring that wouldn’t leave homeowners with an empty wallet. But its glory days wouldn’t last forever. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, aluminum wiring was found to be the cause for many residential fires, which only proved one thing—cost-efficiency does not equal high quality. Much like the disco songs and bell bottoms of the era, aluminum wiring suddenly became out of style and copper wiring got back in vogue. However, several homes are still equipped with aluminum wiring, especially ones built 40 to 50 years ago. If this applies to your household, you need to call for electrical rewiring immediately. By keeping aluminum wiring in your home, you are immediately putting it at risk to experience electrical fires. Plenty of homeowners still aren’t aware of aluminum’s danger, so it’s best to make yourself more aware for the sake you and your family’s safety!
How Can Reliable Help You?
Reliable Electrical Services should be your first choice in electrical rewiring service. Your safety is our electricians’ highest priority. They will give your home a close inspection to determine where aluminum wiring is still present and devise a plan of action in equipping your home with modern, safer wiring instead. From there, they will work quickly and make sure your home’s electrical rewiring is completely updated. We can also conduct a full-scale home safety inspection to determine if there are any other areas in need replacement before you’re exposed to the possibility of residential fires and electrical shock. Thanks to our help, you can expect to live comfortably in your home without worrying over whether your home’s electrical system will backfire on you. Safe electrical wiring can go a long way in ensuring you stay at a better peace of mind and allow you to enjoy life in your home. Plus, with safer electrical features, you will also see your property value raised significantly.
What You Should Know About Aluminum Wiring
Before you go right ahead and call Reliable Electrical Services to replace it, here are a few things you should know in understanding why exactly keeping aluminum wiring in your home is incredibly dangerous:
- Though it’s widely no longer used due to the safety risk, it is still permitted to have aluminum wiring in your home.
- Aluminum wiring expands when it is heated, especially during temperature changes. This causes problems over time, especially where there are connections to outlets, lamps or electronic devices. It will cause the connection to become loose or unstable, which can lead to a loss of power or greater risk of a fire.
- If you continue to have aluminum wiring in your home, you may a difficult time looking for homeowner’s insurance. Insurance companies may charge higher premiums or refuse to insure your home at all.
- Aluminum wiring is much softer than copper wiring. This means that aluminum wiring is highly malleable, and can be crushed easily. Aluminum breaks down faster when bent in any shape, and this reduces the conductivity of the aluminum. When the wiring loses conductivity, heat can build up in the wire and cause a fire hazard.
- Unlike copper wiring, aluminum wiring is highly susceptible to rust, which can create problems with connections, increase the risk of fires, and cause the need for extensive repairs of the wiring system.
Signs You Need to Call Us Right Now
Here is what you should notice around the house to determine the time is right to give Reliable a phone call for rewiring:
- Flickering Lights: Simply put, if someone is walking on your second floor, and your dining room light starts to flicker, it is time to get your electrical wiring system updated. Flickering lights can grow into a huge inconvenience the longer you wait on fixing the problem.
- Warm Electrical Outlets: Electrical outlets should not be warm to the touch, and this means that there is a problem with your wiring. It’s especially common when you have electrical wiring. When you ignore the problem, eventually the outlet will get so hot it will begin to melt the cords plugged into it, which will lead to a greater risk of an electrical fire.
- Increased Spending on Repair: Since most aluminum wiring in homes is now outdated, it may result in more issues with lights and appliances that will see you have to make more calls for repair. The amount of money you spend on repair can quickly get out of your control, so it’s best to eliminate that aluminum wiring as soon as possible to keep your savings intact.
Call Reliable Electrical Services today if you want to learn more on how replacing aluminum wiring can make your home a safer place!
Request a Quote
Reliable Offers Generator Services
Hurricane preparedness includes installing a reliable backup power source in case of a blackout. Reliable Power Systems installs some of the best standby generators today from Generac, Kohler, and Briggs & Stratton. We are also proud to be two-time winners of the Generac Industry Excellence award.