If you have a generator, you’re already aware of how convenient it is that your power stays on when the grid goes down. But did you know you can also get remote monitoring for your generator? This offers many benefits, including:
- Convenience and safety. You’ve probably had to outside on a cold, dark night to check on the generator—only to fumble around with a flashlight and gloves trying to find the right buttons. What’s even worse is when you have to check on the generator during a severe storm, when branches and other debris could pose a hazard. Then there are those times when you’re cooking dinner or helping your kids with their homework, and running outside to do something isn’t really an option. Well, with a remote monitor, none of this will ever be an issue again, because you’ll have all the information and functionalities you need without ever having to leave the comfort of your home. This not only keeps you safe and warm, it also allows you to go about your business without interruptions.
- A full control panel at your fingertips. Remote monitors provide all the capabilities of the control panel on the appliance itself, except they’re on a small, portable device. This allows you to perform a range of functions without having to go outside, including checking exercise times, running exercises, and monitoring for errors, as well as running tests on the engine and transfer switches.
- Intelligent functionality. A good remote monitor comes with the most advanced functionalities, including the ability to interpret findings for you. That way, you always know what’s going on and can take action accordingly.
- Status indicators. Even the most attentive homeowner can’t possibly monitor something 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A remote monitor comes equipped with status indicators like flashing LED lights and audible alerts. As long as you keep it somewhere that’s easily visible like mounted on the kitchen wall, you’ll always notice an alert on time.
- Phone, text, and email alerts. Many remote generator monitors offer the option of receiving automatic alerts in the event of a generator failure. This is highly beneficial, especially since it can greatly reduce the time it takes to call a technician. For example, if you receive an alert at 10am when you’re at work, you can call your technician and schedule an appointment for when you get home. That means that you’ll have your backup power in order by the end of the day. In contrast, if you don’t find out about the failure until you get home from work, it might be one or two days before you can get an appointment.
- Broadband access. Some remote monitors are broadband-based, which is great for homeowners who are often on the go. You can immediately see the status of your generator and perform all necessary functions, no matter where you are in the world.
Installing a generator is a worthwhile investment since it guarantees you won’t suffer the many disadvantages associated with losing power. And by adding remote monitoring, you’ll gain an extra layer of protection—one that provides a failsafe way to ensure your generator always functions properly so you and your family stay warm and safe during power outages.
Call the experts at Reliable Power Systems to schedule your generator service today!